Tuesday 2 October 2018

(5/100) Today's Failure and Learning it's Lessons

My sketchbook work did not go well today.  Over the weekend I came across a Youtube video of Jim Morrison of The Doors in concert.  I was very struck by his expression before he began to sing (a particular kind of inward concentration) and he also reminded me of a renaissance figure. Inspired by that I got back to the video today, put it on pause and tried to do a charcoal portrait.  At the beginning I almost got it, but then as I tried to work on the nose, I lost it and it went downhill after that.  

What have I learned?  This is a beginning.  I'm glad I felt inspired and followed it.  It's not a loss that it didn't match up to my vision of what I wanted to capture.  I can keep working from here.  It's the expression that I was interested in, but my first unhappy attempt has made him look more like a sullen youth, rather than an artist  going inside to focus on his coming performance. 



I can keep trying.  Cropping the sketch shows me there is something here and his face may arrive in some future story painting but in a more interesting way.  

As for the materials, the sketchbook paper was not the best for charcoal.  I like charcoal, so I should find the right paper for it.  I plan on trying again with pen and ink and also watercolour.  

Yes it's a only a beginning.



No comments:

Post a Comment