Tuesday 25 September 2018

100 DAYS OF BLOGGING. 1/100. It's Called Feedback

What is this renewed blogging endeavour all about? It is about the quote below. Feedback for myself.

'You make good work by (among other things) making lots of work that isn't very good, and gradually weeding out the parts that aren't good, the parts that aren't yours.  It's called feedback and it's the most direct route to learning about your own vision.  It's also called doing your work.  After all someone has to do your work and your the closest person around.'  Art & Fear  David Bayles and Ted Orland

And the work I will be doing?  

The idea (at present) is to work on marrying the two genres that have been previously very distinct in my art, the figurative/narrative and the purely abstract.  In considering how I can do this I notice there are two aspects that unite these two very different genres of mine.  The first is that they are both worked from imagination.  My figurative work comes from fleeting ideas and 'dreams' that seem to arrive from nowhere.  The abstract also arrives from that same interior world, it arrives spontaneously and organically.  The second is that they both are deeply connected to nature and it is nature that seems to hold the unifying key.

'The Hidden Pearl'


Untitled

 For the next weeks I'll be experimenting with working with the figure and story and abstracting it, and vice versa.

Here is the first beginning of this idea.  I already see a figure in here and know who she might be but I don't want to be fixed on this yet, I will have to keep reminding myself this is about exploring and staying open.  Allowing myself to make the 'lots of work that isn't very good' from the above quote.


work in progress, acrylic on watercolour paper








No comments:

Post a Comment